Friday, November 11, 2016

Friday Flower








Common St. Johnswort
Millepertuis commun
(Hypericum perforatum)


            Today I did my usual walk through the Royal Botanical Garden's Rose Garden and then into the Hendrie Valley. On the edges of the rose garden plots grow many wild flowers at this time of the year when most of the garden workers have gone. It is a good time to see "weed" flowers. The Hendrie Valley, which is full of wild flowers during the spring and summer, is going slowly to sleep but there are a few holdovers still in bloom. 
            After I have done the tour of the garden and valley I move onto the Hamilton Waterfront Trail at the edge of the Hamilton harbour. There the waters of the harbour, the heat of the trail pavement, and the street lights that were installed all help to keep wild flowers alive and blooming into the late fall and early winter.
            Today's walk resulted in my finding  58 late blooming wild flowers. The temperatures were cool, about 7 degrees C, and the winds were brisk, but the sun shone brightly so I was able to photograph a few flowers.


No comments: