Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sunrise Caterpillar

A wonderful sunrise this morning needed to be photographed several times. Here are two of the results.





I also put up a long, skinny photo made up of several photos stitched together on my Flickr site. I didn't think the blog would handle it very well. Have a look if you wish.

The caterpillar was not photographed at sunrise but closer to sunset yesterday. I have gone through two caterpillar books and not found a name for it yet. It was found next to Rue (Ruta graveolens) plants and near a Shadbush (Amelanchier) shrub. If any one knows, please let me know. Thanks.

6 comments:

Marnie said...

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing either a pale tussock moth or charadra deridens, "The Laugher," although yours appears to be having a particularly bad hair day!

Rurality said...

Nice pics, and WAY COOL caterpillar!

Ontario Wanderer said...

Hi Marnie,
I looked at "The Laugher" a bit but it just did not look quite right to me. Is "Pale Tussock Moth" another moth or another name for "The Laugher"? OK, maybe the bad hair day is the answer.

Thanks Rurality, It's great to see you back on the blogs again.

Marnie said...

Hi there. The Pale Tussock Moth is a different one from the Laugher. Here are some images Google found:

Pale Tussock Moth

Some look a bit like your guy, some don't at all, so ... I don't know. I've been seeing White-Marked Tussock Moth caterpillars around here (Toronto), but they look quite different from the Pale version. This caterpillar ID thing is pretty tricky.

robin andrea said...

Lovely sunrise and great caterpillar photos. I have no idea what kind of caterpillar it is, but it sure is a beauty.

threecollie said...

I sucked in a huge gasp in awe at those sunrise picture. They are truly spectacular! What colors!